Change management is one of the key issues in leadership management and maybe one of the most important issues in our century because of the tremendous modifications in our new digital world.
But what exactly is it and do we need it only in businesses or is change management essential for all areas in our lives?
Change management is a structured approach for ensuring that changes are thoroughly and smoothly implemented, and that the lasting benefits of change are achieved. The focus is on the wider impacts of change, particularly on people and how they, as individuals and teams, move from the current situation to the new one. The change in question could range from a simple process change, to major changes in policy or strategy needed if the organization is to achieve its potential. Change management is, therefore, a very broad field, and approaches to managing change vary widely, from organization to organization and from project to project.
In our professional environment we are used to implement toolkits, plans and management methods successfully but how can we implement change in our personal life? How can we change old patterns to live the life we like to live?
Most of us are operating on wrong information and we are not aware that most of our activities are a projection of the past and this is not truly reflecting our personal wish. So we keep getting the wrong results because we don´t change our lives.
Money, a new relationship or other outer things will not help in getting the life that we really want to live! The constant expectation of getting a change in our lives when something or somewhere will help us brings us away from a real and authentic change.
The constant state of suspension is a result of this behavior – the typical “if …. then… story” keeps many people away from living their dream:
“If my children are getting older I like to do ….!”
“If my boss could understand that I´m perfect in doing ….I could be much better in my daily work!”
“If my coworkers would be better in teamwork… I could more work on the new strategic points and I would get more income….!”
“If I loose some weight I would be more attractive to find the right partner….!”
“If my investor would have a deeper understanding in our business model … I could spend more time ….!”
“If my team would work more efficiently I could spend more time on healthier cooking….!”
And so on….
To be generally successful in our lives we need a shift in our personal awareness and we need a conscious change in our personal mindset: We have to accept the responsibility for our lives! And for a sustainable switch we need to invest in being the best!
Here are some tips for your personal change management:
- Invest time in your personal development – there are tons of very useful audio books on the market and although we have “no time”, audio books are helpful because you can do cleaning, cooking, driving during this time!
- Create your life goal – who am I and what would I like to achieve in my life?!
- What is my real purpose!
- What are your real talents, what was your dream as a child? What keeps you away from living your dream? What puts you in a constant state of fulfillment and freedom?
- Invest in being the best and communicate to others! Communicate your message in a polite and respectful way! Involve your environment positively!
- Create your personal plan in a professional way. Long-term structural transformation has four characteristics: scale (the change affects all or most of the organization, family, personal environment), magnitude (it involves significant alterations of the status quo), duration (it lasts for months, if not years), and strategic importance for you and your social network including family, friends and business.
- Communicate about your personal “change management”, develop new communication skills, because your personal transformation will create “people issues” around you as well! New people will be asked to step up, jobs will be changed, new skills and capabilities must be developed, and maybe your private and business network will be uncertain and resistant.
- Take care of the people around you!
- Do everything with totally and excellence!
- Contribute ideas!
- Solve problems!
- Make “isiness” your business! Be present!